Here are my top five favorite health benefits from consuming pumpkin seed powder protein!
1. Cholesterol-Lowering: Pumpkin seed powder has a high content of phytosterols, plant-based compounds that can reduce LDL “bad” cholesterol levels. Pumpkin seeds and other foods are naturally rich in phytosterols. The Journal of Agriculture Food Chemistry published a study in 2005 demonstrating that pumpkin seeds were one of the top three foods in terms of highest phytosterol content. This attribute of pumpkin seeds was compared to other nuts and seeds in North America.
2. Alkaline- Forming:Consuming alkaline -forming foods can help maintain balanced pH levels inthe body. Pumpkin seeds are the only seeds that are alkaline-forming, making them an excellent addition to Western diets which are often too acidic. Studies indicate that eating more alkaline-forming foods can support cardiovascular health, maintain strong bones,and improve brain function.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels: Eating pumpkin seeds is a great option for diabetics looking to control their insulin levels. A 2010 study published in the Journal of Diabetics and Its Complications found that consuming a diet supplemented by a mixture of pumpkin seed and flax seeds helped improve blood sugar regulation and antioxidant activity in diabetic rats.
4. Restful Sleep: feeling restless at night? Pumpkin seed powder might be the key to getting a good night`s sleep. Pumpkin seed powder is rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which aids in the production of serotonin in the brain. An appropriate balance of the neurotransmitter serotonin is responsible for regulating mood, sleep, and appetite. It is particularly helpful for people who have trouble sleeping at night.
4. Prostate Health: Pumpkin Seeds are packed with Zinc and other antioxidants to reduce the risk for prostate disease. A 2009 study published in Nutrition Research and Practice found that supplementation of pumpkin seed oil and Saw Palmetto Oil may be effective intreating benign prostatic hyperplasia, also referred to as enlarged prostate.