A vegetarian is someone who lives on a diet of grains,beans,lentils,nuts,seeds,vegetables and fruits with or without the use of dairy products and eggs.
Simply put, a vegetarian does not eat any meat,poultry,fish, shellfish or crustacea,or slaughter by-products such as gelatin or animal fats.
There are many different types of Vegetarians.
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarians-Eats both dairy products and eggs.This is the most common type of vegetarian diet.
- Lacto-vegetarian-Eats dairy products,but not eggs.
- Vegan-Does not eat dairy products, eggs, or any other animal product.
- Demi-vegetarian or Pescetarian- is a term sometimes used to describe persons who eat no or little meat but eat fish.
- Fruitarian- A type of vegan diet where very few processed or cooked foods are eaten.Consists mainly of raw fruit,grains and nuts.Fruitarians believe only plant foods that can be harvested without killing the plant should be eaten.
- Macrobiotic- A diet followed for the spiritual and philosophical reasons. Aims to maintain a balance between foods seen as Yin or Yang.